Monday, May 4, 2015

the wheel in the kitchen: new moon rituals

It is not Thursday night, but I feel like writing some ground rules and some directional guides.  During each month, I celebrate three days surrounding the new moon.  I will start here.  I have pretty much stolen it from the Hellenic tradition which I respect greatly and don't pretend to be.  I use this model for my own practice and because these gods and goddesses of the Greek persuasion call to me more than any others.  Anyway, the new moon of each month can be observed in three days time.  I use the first day (also known as Hecate's Deipnon) to honor the goddess Hecate and the crossroads.  These days are sunset to sunset and Hecate's sunset to sunset occurs the day prior to the new moon (beginning at sunset).  At sunset on the night of the new moon (Noumenia), I honor the moon goddess Selene.  This goes until the next day at sunset, at which time I perform the Agathos Daimon (the observance of the spirits of the house and the honoring of ancestors).  This is the three day observance of the new moon and is a foundation for my spiritual path.  It is a meditative time and meant to be structured.  It is a time to release negativity and sweep negativity from self, hearth and home.  It is also a cleansing time to prepare for the building energy to the time of the full moon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment