I've had a bit of a revelation and it makes me happy that I did.
I've gone through giving up on wanting to sell my artwork but I did have a little revelation while reading a Native American legend. I began to remember going to the museum in Salamanca, NY and the guy there told me that my art must be akin to theirs (the Iroquois). I saw all of their Corn Mother sculptures and thought "plant people" I told him about my tree people. Anyway, while reading the Life and Death of Sweet Medicine, it finally occurred to me that my art isn't that off the mark of what they are talking about. My insides, my brain, whatever, wants to animate the flora and fauna. I infuse them with my own version of animate and energy. So, I thought, why not be a storyteller similar to the natives are in their legends and stories? Since I feel the same inclination, why not? So, in my own way, I'm going to try to make little books with stories I write that explain the different characters in my creations. Kinda goofy, since I'm not going to do anything with these little books. Maybe make copies and give as gifts or something. But, I am excited to get exploring creatively again.
And, I feel, I get to give a little nod to all the storytelling traditions. One thing I love is when, on Northern Exposure, the medicine man, Leonard Quinlock, tells Ed (shaman in training) that white man's new versions of healing mythologies and stories dwell in filmmaking and movies. I love that idea, that we simply have a new way to tell healing tales. Obviously, I'm also going to do the artwork for all the "little books" and bind them with thread. I'm even going to find gift bags to put them in since I have a definite idea for the look of the books. In this way, I can write the stories behind my creations and their adventures and create. I want to be 'Kara the Storyteller' through my art and words. That is where I belong. In telling my own healing mythologies.
I'm printing the books on parchment and binding them with mainly black thread. The sheer bags should be white or green or black. I like the ones with the stars on them. I feel I can get my art and writing off of its feet. My first tale is about a seed inside a shell under a leaf. An animate. :) Yay!
Thought I'd share my end of winter thoughts and things. I'll just be happy to finally have a little library of my own works. Whether I get to the printing process or not.
Right now, I'm jumping into the comic strip I wanted to develop for my treepeople tentatively called 'Leafy Hooligans'. I'm also currently working on my Tree People Tarot and a 'Leafy Hooligans' calendar.
No comments:
Post a Comment