Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Rosalia as a spoke in the Wheel: honoring the dead, honoring ancestors

I don't belong to any kind of cabal.  My spiritual path is something that I've been carving out on my own for some time and I don't expect others to immediately 'get it'.  What non pagan people need to understand is that pagans are not cookie cutter type people and each person will have their own way of doing things.  Each person will actually have their own ideas and traditions and entire systems and that is cool, too.  So, this post is designed to share the significance of one sabbat, the Rosalia.  Rosalia is a time to honor the dead and it is a time that happens (for me) between the end of May to the end of June.  It is perfect that the more mainstream holiday of Memorial Day takes place during this time, also.  The Rosalia is demonstrated by going out and offering roses to those who have died.  You can honor loved ones and ancestors with roses during this time.  I also feel that Rosalia encompasses the a time to share an appreciation for flowers.  June 13 is my dedicated day to honor Flora during the Rosalia.  Whilst offering roses to the dead, one should share a poem or dedication.  One could also simply hold what is in their heart without ever speaking aloud.  It is important to recognize the dead, especially after a particularly long winter.  This is the time for our spirits to be lightened and the long hours to be shared amongst our people.  Remembrance is a beautiful way to keep loved ones with us.  This is why I love Rosalia the most.  It is a time to embrace the dead.  Keep them in our hearts and minds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment